Have I mentioned I love Fridays?
Mmmmm....
Well, I am sure if y'alls schedule is like mine - it's getting busy! Trying to cram 87 parties into a few weeks can be stressful! Okay, so we really didn't get invited to 87 parties, but still. We have some friends, I swear. Just not that many. Maybe, like four. And they're dang good ones too!
When things get busy, it's nice to have a few-ol-reliable meals. Ones you can just whip out when you need to. I have already made this salad a few times this winter. We still try and eat a lot of veggies through the winter- which can be hard when the gardens have gone dormant.
I know it's winter because there is no longer anyone selling corn or watermelons on the street corners. And because it's 5 degrees outside. I just love in the heat of summer when I get just go harvest everything from the garden, but alas, to everything there is a season. And this season is cold and barren.
(Side-note: To my stinky cousin who lives in Las Vegas and can still harvest peppers and goodies out of her garden: I hate you.)
(Side-note: I really don't hate you. I just have garden envy.)
This is a go-to meal when I need something easy, quick, and healthy. I think you'll love it. Simple and delicious.
Chicken, Pomegranate, Walnut & Balsamic Salad (For lack of a better name, obviously)
*Please, will someone come up with a better name for this?
*Please note, that I do not like to measure. Therefore, I have used measuring terms loosely. I realize that for some people, this may drive them crazy. I apologize. It's just the way the good Lord made me. Please feel free to add as much or as little of the goodies as you like.
You will need:
- Mix of organic greens (spinach, arugula, etc.)
- Chicken, cooked and shredded (I cook a broiler chicken on Sunday's so I always have some cooked and ready for easy meals in the fridge!)
- Pomegranate insides (What are these called again? Aireals or something?)
- Walnuts
- Maple syrup (the real stuff!)
- Brown sugar
- Herbs of your choice
- Feta or Parmesan cheese
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
Step One: Sweeten your nuts! Put a few handfuls of walnuts into a small pan, add about 2-4 tablespoons of maple syrup and a generous pinch of brown sugar. Heat the nuts up until the maple syrup starts to bubble in all it's goodness. Let it bubble for about a minute, then shut the heat off. Allow the nuts to cool.
Step Two: I put a nice, large bed of the greens onto a plate. Then I sprinkle a handful of shredded chicken over each pile of greens. Then, a handful of pomegranate thingies. My chicken, this week, was just seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried parsley. Nothin' fancy.
Step Three: Once the nuts have cooled, sprinkle them over your salad as well.
Step Four: Add you cheese! I didn't have any cheese this time, so we went cheese-naked. But some feta or some shredded parmesan would be divine.
Step Five: Sprinkle a small pinch of your favorite herbs over the salad. I like to use a mix of oregano and thyme.
Step Six: Give each salad a generous drizzle of olive oil, as well as a generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar. You could substitute your favorite dressing here, but I have found that balsamic vinegar is perfect just by itself. Super easy.
This salad does not have it's dressing - Stuart wasn't home quite yet. It's a naked salad.
I enjoy this salad because I know it's seasonal. We won't be eating it in August when the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and beans are making their debut. But I get to enjoy it for this season. Like this lovely pomegranate... which I pick at like a bird until there is nothing left but a few pieces of thick outer skin. I ravage it.
I think pomegranates look like jewels.
Oh, it is just me?
Here I go again, on my own....goin' down the only road I've ever known....
Happy Friday my lovely, sweet, caring, loyal readers.
Happy Friday.