Monday, October 3, 2011

Decorating with a Halloween Hater–Guest Post

Hi Everyday is a Celebration readers! I'm Jenny from An Apple for the Crafter and I am psyched to be here today.
Kelsey and I have been thinking about a serious issue that a lot of bloggers might not be talking about. We figured that someone had to expose this tragic problem... Do you have a spouse or a roommate who hates Halloween? First of all, I'm sorry. Secondly, I feel your pain. Those of you who know me might not believe this, since he is historically so cool and all, but my husband, Chance, hates Halloween. Take a minute. Be sad for me. Be sad for him. Now, let's take these lemons and make some lemonade shall we? First, sit down with your Halloween Hater (HH) and discuss the ground rules. Here are some of Chance's big beefs: -Anything meant to be scary rather than fun or cute, like blood -Anything over the top like, big witches that have crashed into something -Things that make sounds like screams, or the creepy bwah ha ha laugh He prefers muted decor. He is adamant that no Halloween decor go up until October especially since, "October is such a long month" anyway. :) Second, respect the ground rules. This is equivalent to respecting the person. When you show respect for his/her distaste you'll be able to make compromises so you can both be happy. If your HH feels strongly enough you might be have to settle with autumn decor. That can be okay too! Have fun with it.
Autumn decor is a safe alternative
Believe me, I love Halloween. I think it can be a ton of fun. I've spent eight years with far less decor than I would have liked. That work has paid off, because he trusts my sense of style and becomes a little more open minded all the time. In fact we will even attend a party and dress up every other year! You have no idea what a huge victory that is!! Third, once a compromise has been reached, embrace it! Chance likes pumpkins so I have a ton of them in all different sizes, materials, and shapes. I love them now. Plus, it makes it easy to transition back to autumn and then to Thanksgiving after the holiday is over. Which, in my house is at 12:01 on November 1st. :) With the blessing of the Chanceman I can transition those pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns for a couple of sweet weeks every year.
Jack-o-lanterns? Okay!
Fourth, if all else fails decorate with color. We do it all the time! Halloween seems to bring out that part of us that wants witches, spider webs, and adorable Frankenstein cookie jars. Don't discount the fun you can have with black, purple, orange, and green! You can create a fun atmosphere that shouldn't be offensive to the HHs among us.
Purple, black, and orange in a vase!
So, where will your house fall on the scale? Safe autumn decor, Playing with colors, or Finding fun compromises? I can't wait to hear about your creative solutions! I'm so happy to have been a guest here today and I hope you stop by and visit me sometime at An Apple for the Crafter for more tips and tricks!