And if you've ever visited the Pacific Northwest, you know that Bellingham has quite the vibe. Think very modern. Hippies. And you'll land somewhere close to the earthy-bohemian-feeling of this beautiful town.
As we began to walk from our parking spot down to the market, we were almost immediately approached by a lady asking us to sign a petition to ban single-use plastic bags.
Should I mention at this point that I was carrying a plastic bag? Yes, I think so. That felt like the right moment to say that.
Now, for the record. I reuse mine. Just puttin' it out there.
But anyway.
We made our way down to the local farmers market to pick up a few treats for dinner. Some of the goodies looked so delicious, I couldn't pass them up.
Like the honey roasted almonds.
The smell of sweet, toasted, nuts gets me every time! And lucky for me, I had exactly $3 worth of change in my pocket. The exact amount necessary to purchase some. And so I did. And then I ate them. I gave Stuart two almonds...but the rest were mine.
MINE!!!!!
After I inhaled the honey roasted almonds with the rage a wild beast, Stuart and I bought a chai tea latte. And while still buzzing from consuming roughly a quarter cup of sugar within an hour, we went to look at flowers.
Then, we sampled feta cheese made from a local farm.
And I was in Shangri la.
Polecat posters. Flowers. Coffee. Fresh baked artisan bread. Cheese. Plants. Vegetables. Hippies. All the important factors in a successful farmers market. However, let me just put a disclaimer out there: Beware of some of the the farmers market prices! While it is possible to find some good deals - they can also be incredibly overpriced.
At home, asparagus is currently selling for $1.50 per pound. At the Bellingham market? $5 a pound.
At home, free range local eggs are $3 a dozen. At the Bellingham market? $6 a dozen.
Don't ask me how much my delicious, buttery, sharp chunk of feta cheese costs.
Don't ask, I say! I won't tell you!
I'm embarrassed to say. However, it is hands down the best feta I have ever tasted. Man, oh man. Lawdy, oh lawdy. My heavens. Mmm. It is delicious cheese. De. Lic. Ious.
Thus, I have consumed the following sinful foods in the past twenty four hours:
1. A chai tea latte.
2. A package of honey roasted almonds. Minus, two almonds.
3. A chunk of feta the size of a hockey puck.
4. Another chai tea latte. Hey, I'm just being honest here.
Hence the reason I love vacations. Because on vacations, as on your birthday, calories do not count.
I wonder how long I can hang on to this theory...
My guess is until weaning.
But until then! Cheers!