Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Know When to Hold Em



I am struggling...surprise, surprise, right?  Me, struggling with an issue...

I think I know what I want to do, but would love some feedback on this particular issue.

The Crazies were born in the middle of August.  The cut-off for sending them to Kindergarten is September 1, so they're only like 2 weeks ahead of that.

Do I send them?

Or do I hold them?

We feel that it is our job, as parents, to give our children every single opportunity that we can.  We feed them very well.  We send them to a wonderful preschool.  We give them opportunities to see things, touch things, experience things, and learn at every turn we take.  They are well-adjusted and smart.

Will they be "ready" for kindergarten by September 1st?  Yes, I'm sure of that.  They will be able to handle the curriculum, the expectations, the instructions, the other kids, the teachers, all of it.  I am sure of it.

Will I be "ready" to send them?  I don't think so.

Oh, and it's not because I'll miss them and want them to stay little forever and ever...it's not that at all.  Yes, my heart is carved of ice.  Jealous?

In my former life (B.C. = Before Crazies), I was a middle school teacher.  I can't tell you the number of times I have sat through a conference listening a parent regret their decision to send their child to kindergarten "on time."  I have listened while they took us through their decision and how they have just seen it all fall apart in the end.  Their child is not mature enough, has trouble b/c they're not hitting puberty at the same rate as the others, cannot pay attention, is not developmentally ready for the material, and on and on...

These conversations always stick in my mind when Husband and I talk about Kindergarten. 

We're never stuck on Kindergarten itself...it's always the years that will follow.  The years that they will not be allowed to participate in sports b/c they're too young.  The years that they will be the last picked in gym b/c they're the smallest (I have tiny kids...Husband and I are vertically challenged...it's not looking good for the Crazies).  The years that they will be wishing to hit puberty like everyone else in their grade.  The years that they will struggle with their studies and expectations because they aren't developmentally *there* yet.

Wouldn't it be better if they were the older kids in the sport?  If they were ready to attack their studies because they could focus in a way that they wouldn't have been able to a year ago?  If they were physically developed when everyone else was?  Or before everyone else?  Wouldn't these things make their lives just a tad easier?

Thoughts???