Today begins my three day festival of Christmastime. The 23rd of every year is my extended family's reunion/get-together/smorgasbord, and in just a few short hours I will sit and sup and feast like a king. As one who loves to eat, especially good, home-cooked stuff, this is an event I look forward to every year.
Follow that up with two days of presents and more food and you've got a satisfied-but-oft-miserable Logan. (I too much, leave me alone.) Good times all around. Hopefully we'll get to play some Rook, too.
I find myself thinking about presents and gifts and stuff and really wish we didn't live in a society where this was the understood and accepted thing to do. I mean, I love giving and getting gifts, but how many of those gifts are given/received for the right reasons? How many are done out of mandate? Where's the love from that? Why are we obligated to buy so many gifts? Is Christmastime just a season of money exchanging and fulfilling traditions? Sadly, I think so.
Anyway, that's not the point of this. I don't expect that to ever change, partially because I know my family would never go for it, and partially because our society is too far gone in that direction. So I continue to follow the traditions and dream of ways to rock the catbox a little for next year.
I hope you all have a truly, madly, deeply wonderful Christmas. I know I will.
In the spirit of Christmas, I've had a song stuck in my head for a few days, which I've taken the liberty to record and post up on that youtube thingy. It's embedded below, if you'd like to give 'er a listen. I think it sounds pretty good, and hopefully you do too.
So, I hope this post wasn't too depressing. A cynical view on Christmas and a song about double suicide. Wow. That's in no way where I intended to go. I think perhaps I should just stop now. Look for a full week next week. A book review or two. A summary of 2010's reading, with all the bells and whistles. Promises promises.
Have a great Christmas, everybody. Seriously. Enjoy the thing that makes you love and feel loved and remember to think about Jesus every once in a while.