Late post today, as this morning was full of errands and moving! Ty and Tye have officially moved out of their hobbit-hole, into a much more sufficiently spaced apartment. We are happy that they now have room to have us all over for dinner. No more excuses, guys. I expect an invitation pronto.
A fun recipe today. Well, I consider it fun, but I realize that boiling a carcass may not be on every one's list of "exciting things to do!" It's sure on mine though.
Every Saturday, we go to the grocery store. I always buy an uncooked, nice, free-range, all natural broiler chicken. Usually priced around $8, it's an inexpensive way for us to get some meat into our diet! We can eat on the chicken for two to three meals, plus I make chicken stock with the carcass. Not a bad way to spend $8!
Homemade Chicken Stock
You will need:
- The carcass of a roaster chicken (I include the gizzards and skin!) picked free of most all the meat
- Any vegetable "waste" (carrot peelings, potato peelings, etc.)
- An onion
- Vinegar
- Celery (if you got it!)
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs of your choice
Step One: Combine the carcass (bones included!), the gizzards, and the hodge-podge of vegetable waste. Don't worry too much about what you use, we're just going for flavor here, nothin' pretty. A lot of times, I will keep the carcass in the fridge and just add vegetable waste as I have it. Then, on the weekend, when I am ready to make the stock, it is all there in the fridge! Nothin' goes to waste on the homestead. Yummy...
Step Two: Put all the fixins into a large stock pot. Fill the pot up with water. I usually fill mine until it is 3 inches or so from the top.
Step Three: Add half a cup of vinegar to your pot. I just use white vinegar. This helps to draw all the nutrients out of the dense, mineral rich, bones!
Step Four: Add your herbs! I use dried thyme, salt, and dried parsley from the garden. Use however much, or however little, you like.
Step Five: Bring the stock to a boil. Once it boils, cover the stock and turn down the heat so that it remains at a very slow simmer.
Step Six: Allow the stock to simmer for 12-24 hours. I usually let mine go 24 hours. After it's done, allow the stock to cool down to room temperature. Strain the stock free of all the chunky-stuff left over, so you have a nice thin broth left.
I store my stock in freezer ziplocs and then ship them off to my sisters so she can house them in her chest-freezer for me (thanks sister!)
Which is when I have to put down the strainer full of chicken bones and snuggle her because I can't stand it anymore.
I'm such a sucker.
Happy chicken-stock-adventures my friends! Cheers to frugal, healthy, simple homemade goods!








