So like I was saying, at 11:14 one year ago today (which is the time I started working on this post), I was at the hair salon getting ready with my bridesmaids. There was so much laughter and joy in that hair salon, and getting to spend that extra time with all of my closest friends was spectacular.
Being sassy with all my bridesmaids!
That's Liz, who was about 37 weeks pregnant at this point, bless her heart.
Getting the final touches on my hair.
At 4:30 one year ago today, the ceremony started that would change my life forever. My nephew, Christian, was working the music, which began playing so the grandmothers and mothers could be seated. And then down went the bridesmaids and groomsmen to their song. And then I stood, waiting with my father, behind closed doors to the sanctuary. The music never came though, so we went on down the aisle anyway, walking instead to the music of laughter, creating a great memory I'll never forget. Sometimes, things just don't go your way and technology can be somewhat of a bitch. Oh well, because now everyone remembers me as the bride who didn't freak out over her music screwing up.
At the end of that aisle, I was joined in marriage with my darling husband, Dustin (or Durb to 99% of the people who know him). It was the happiest day of my life, of course (even though that's really just what you're supposed to say. I'm kidding!!)
During the ceremony.
A fun shot of our whole wedding party.
After the ceremony was over and the posed pictures were done being taken, we headed down to the reception, which was a joyful celebration filled with good food, cake, dancing, and drinks that were way too strong. There was even a bottle of moonshine being passed around (nothing like making it a true West Virginia wedding). It was truly one of the most fun parties I've ever been to, and I have so many amazing memories from that part of the day, and the pictures from the reception are the funniest ever.
One of the important parts of the reception was the cake cutting. We had a magnificent four-tiered cake (the very top tier actually had to be taken off prior to the wedding because our topper wouldn't fit on it, but more on that in a minute) that was Italian creme on the bottom, red velvet on the next tier, chocolate with German chocolate filling in the next one, and the very top tier was another Italian creme layer. On the top, there was a wire Eiffel Tower. I'd always wanted an Eiffel Tower on top of my wedding cake, and everyone had scoffed at me and rolled their eyes (including my own mother) when I made this known. They tried to talk me into having something else, something more traditional, but let me tell you, I was dead set on this. And damnit I had it!
But we didn't cut the big cake for the special cake-cutting ceremony. Nope. We cut the groom's cake, which was Funfetti with sprinkles all over it, lime green ribbon at the base of the two tiers, and had a baseball on top. That was Durb's biggest wish, was to have that Funfetti cake and for it to be the one we cut at the reception. And that's exactly what we did.
My magnificent cake with the Eiffel Tower on top, minus the actual top tier (which is sitting in my fridge as we speak, thawing out).
Both of the lovely wedding cakes, created by the one and only Susan Hicks, who happens to be the most amazing cake-baker in the Tri-State area. So delicious and beautiful!
Cutting the groom's cake with my very own personal groom, Mr. Durb Hann <3
So at some point this evening, my husband and I will crack open a bottle of champagne and share year-old cake, toasting to the trials and tribulations that have been bestowed upon us this past year, and celebrate the joys and good times and great memories we've made. Marriage is rough, something you truly have to work on, and I believe it when people say the first year is the hardest. But despite all of that, we've made it through the first year, and here's to many, many more!
PS - No, the cake isn't vegan because this all happened before I became a vegan, and yes, I'm going to eat it anyway.







