Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Grilled & Stuffed Portabellas. And the river.

So J-Money was here over the long weekend...and what a wonderful weekend it was.  We spend time talking about theology, music, food, and family.


We also spent time down by the river.  For those of you who don't know about our area, our lil ol town is situated right on a river.  And there is nothing better than heading down to the rocky beach for some summer fun. 




G-Baby had fun sitting with the little fish in the water.  And chewing on rocks.






I watched the boys jump in....nervous that they would hit their heads and forever suffer from spinal injuries...



...I for one, chose to just wade in to my knees and/or ankles.  This greatly decreases the chances of spinal injuries.  Unless I were to slip, in which case, I would probably be more concerned about my D70 getting wet then I would my head.  That's how much I love my camera.







What a glorious end-of-summer day.  Does it get any more beautiful?  No.  It doesn't.  I will answer that for you.


Aren't you glad you have me here? 




Stu + our baby = melted heart.


I love when Jerry comes into town because it means that we get to get to do fun things, plus enjoy extra delicious food and drink.  He loves good food.  So I cook it.


Upon his request for a portabella mushroom dish, I made this recipe on a whim.  It was delicious, and a perfect ode to our last few days of grilling weather.




Grilled & Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
You will need:
 - 8 portabella mushrooms
 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
 - Pinch of sea salt


 - 1 cup quinoa (soaked is best)
 - 1/2 cup lentils (soaked is best)
 - 3 cups water


 - 2 carrots, minced
 - 3 green onions, minced (or one small onion, minced)
 - 2 cups kale, minced
 - 1 clove garlic, minced
 - 2 tablespoons butter
 - 2 cups white wine/1 cup vegetable stock (or any combination thereof)
 - 1 to 2 teaspoons each oregano, thyme, rosemary, basic (or any combination of your favorite herbs!)
 - Goat cheese, for topping


Step One:  Place the quinoa, lentils, and water together in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat & simmer until quinoa and lentils are tender.  Roughly fifteen minutes.








Step Two:  While the quinoa & lentils are cooking, melt the butter in a skillet.  Then, add the carrots, onions, and garlic.  Saute until tender, maybe five minutes or so. 




Step Three:  Pour in the white wine and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.  Allow the liquid to simmer for ten minutes or so, until it is reduced by half. 




Step Four:  Once the liquid has reduced, throw in your kale & herbs.  Then, mix this together with your quinoa & lentils to create a pilaf of sorts, if-you-will.




Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Congratulations, my friend.  You have now completed the "stuffing" for the stuffed mushrooms.




Step Five:  Fire up the grill baby.  Then, rub the cleaned (and de-stemmed) portabella mushrooms with some olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.  Grill for two minutes per side, until just beginning to release some liquid.




Step Six:  Scoop a generous spoonful of the quinoa pilaf onto the bottom (gill-side) of each mushroom.  Top with goat cheese and freshly ground pepper.  As usual, the goat cheese is not an option.  It is a requirement.  Thank you for cooperating.


Serve.  Eat.  Enjoy. 


We topped this vegetarian meal off with freshly grilled corn and peaches & cream.


Yes, I'm still eating peaches & cream.  I can't stop.


It's not too late to get in more deliciously fresh summer meals - don't give up yet!  We must hold out hope that our tomatoes still have a few weeks to ripen - don't quit on me now, people!


Sorry.  I tend to be dramatic when it comes to tomatoes.


Help.


This post part of Real Food Wednesdays and Pennywise Platter.